The Calcutta Corporation decided to make all the unmetalled roads of the city macadamized on 11th September, 1794.
In spite of the establishment of Medical College in 1835, the hospital started operating thirteen years later. On 1st December,1852, this hospital was inaugurated with 500 beds.
The first Maternity ward in Calcutta was inaugurated on 19th April,1882, in the Medical College Hospital. The first patient was admitted on 17th July.
Birla Planetarium is one of the oldest Planetariums in India. The only planetarium in the country, whose dome houses a collection of projectors and optical equipments expensively imported from East Germany. It is the largest planetarium in South-East Asia and the second largest planetarium in the world.
The European physicians in Calcutta met on 1st March.1823, to found the 'Calcutta Medical & Physical Society'. The venue of the meeting was The Asiatic Society.
The world’s second oldest Geological Survey came into existence in Calcutta in the year 1851.
Raja Sukhomoy Roy of Pathuria Ghata introduced the manual fan or man-pulled fan in Calcutta during Durga Puja celebration in his residence between 1784 to 1790 approximately.
Calcutta, once the capital of British India, has the largest number of heritage buildings.
Calcutta Medical College is the oldest institution of European Medicine in Asia.
Kolkata and Mumbai were two of the main export/import destinations for British beer, which would go stale and sour during the sea voyage. So the IPA (India Pale Ale) style of beer was created specifically to withstand the rigours of the sea between London and these Indian ports.