The University of Calcutta, India’s second oldest modern university was established in 1857.
After the establishment of the first modern post office in Calcutta, the money order system was introduced here along with the rest of India in 1880.
Till March 2006, Kolkata's oldest resident was the Adwaita, the 255 year old giant Aldabra Seychelles tortoise, whose residence was the 131 year old Alipore Zoological Gardens.
Raja Sukhomoy Roy of Pathuria Ghata introduced the manual fan or man-pulled fan in Calcutta during Durga Puja celebration in his residence between 1784 to 1790 approximately.
The world’s second oldest Geological Survey came into existence in Calcutta in the year 1851.
The European physicians in Calcutta met on 1st March.1823, to found the 'Calcutta Medical & Physical Society'. The venue of the meeting was The Asiatic Society.
The Calcutta Rajdhani Express was introduced in 1969 with a maximum allowed speed of 120km/h, which was then the new speed limit for trains in India.
The Grand Trunk Road (National Highway No. 2) is one of the oldest road routes in India and it runs from Howrah to Kashmir.
The first Maternity ward in Calcutta was inaugurated on 19th April,1882, in the Medical College Hospital. The first patient was admitted on 17th July.
Kolkata is sister city to Long Beach, California.